Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Book Review: Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

WHERE TO BUY: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million

GOODREADS SUMMARY: 
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

MY REVIEW: 
This was such an interesting take on humans & aliens! I liked it a lot. This is only my second Jennifer L. Armentrout book, but I am simply adoring this woman! The way that she develops her characters is unlike a lot of authors I read.

The main characters in this story, Katy & Daemon, are the perfect duo. They play off of each other so well and I just how their stories intertwine throughout the book. Originally, Katy got on my nerves, just a little bit. She was constantly making "unsmart" decisions and I couldn't quite understand why. But then again, I actually could. It was just frustrating at times. But as the book went on, she turned into this kick ass woman/girl. With such ambitious and fight in her. I definitely appreciated her character, especially her fierce loyalty and love for Dee (and the other aliens). She is definitely a character I love.

Moving on to Daemon -- it is very apparent that Jennifer likes her bad boys. Very apparent, indeed. Daemon is deemed a bad boy from page one. He is snarky, sarcastic, flirtatious. But he's also fiercely protective and loyal to those that he cares about, especially his sister, Dee. I enjoyed him from the second I was introduced to his character. And the cool part about him is that he developed quite well throughout the book, but not to the point where you barely recognized him from the beginning. He's still a jerk, which I love.

His interactions with Katy, Dee, or anyone were so much fun to read about. Didn't matter who you were, he was going to be himself. And I love that.

Obsidian is the perfect introduction to the Lux series, I honestly couldn't put this book down. I read it in about 5 hours. Definitely a five-star book for me!

MY RATING: 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment