Monday, February 10, 2014

Book Review: Everneath by Brodi Ashton


Goodreads Summary: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned-to her old life, her family, her boyfriend-before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.
Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance-and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.
As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.
My Review: Wow oh wow. What a fabulous story. It was better than I expected it to be. The plot was quite an interesting concept. It's kind of like the retelling of the myth of Persephone, which is one of my favorite stories!

Nikki has basically returned for the underworld, which is called the Everneath. She "returned" because she didn't want to stay away from her love, Jack. Because she is meant to stay in the Everneath, she only has a limited time to immerse herself back into her old world. The Everneath will come after six months to take her back.

It's quite a predicament she gets herself into, because for a while, Nikki does absolutely nothing in regards to Jack, so I'm wondering why the heck she even bothered. It was almost like she enjoyed torturing herself, but remaining around him -- but not being with him. She didn't even really engage in conversation with him, until he put in her a position to. So, for a majority of the book, Nikki pissed me off.

Then there's Cole -- the asshole we all know and hate. Cole is the reason why Nikki is involved in this whole Everneath experience to begin with. And he's so unapologetic for everything he puts her through. He clearly witnesses how much Nikki loves Jack, but he tries to cut her off at every turn. I personally think it's jealousy due to love, but that isn't necessarily specified because it is understood that Cole can't feel love.

Throughout the entire book, I'm naturally rooting for Nikki and Jack to just be together. I want her to be honest with him and I want him to just protect her against Cole, who just continues to act so petty. There's an underlying reason why Cole wants Nikki. He wants to take over ruling the underworld and feels that Nikki is very crucial in making that happen because she's so powerful.

I really enjoyed Jack's character, but I honestly think he was underplayed. I would have loved to hear more about his backstory, especially more on his experience after Nikki left him (for the Everneath). I feel like there's a hidden gem in his backstory.

Nikki's character was a little flat for me, mainly because she kept letting Cole take the reins on how she was going to spend her six months in her old life. Cole dominated Nikki's everything and it got annoying, fast. But I have a feeling that due to the happenings at the end of the book, Nikki will be back and ready for action. I think book one's happenings will force her to get a better head in the game. 

Cole's character does everything I needed it to do -- make me hate him. He was so underhanded in his handling of Nikki, of his own affairs. Of everything. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him, so I'm interested to see what happens with him.

Overall, I was pleased with the book. The ending was such a cliffhanger for me that I NEED to pick up the second book now! I need to know what Nikki's plan of action is.

My Rating: 4 out of 5 stars! 

The review for the sequel, Everbound, will be coming next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment