Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Book Review: 'The Raven Boys' by Maggie Stiefvater

**This is the first book in 'The Raven Cycle' series.

Where To Buy: Barnes & Noble, Amazon

Goodreads summaryIt is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.




What I ThoughtI did NOT like this book for about the first 100-150 pages. I was lost, confused, disconnected, and just plain bored! I didn't understand the point of ANY of the story. And to be honest, I still don't. 

What kept me reading were the characters. I care about each of them SO much. Stiefvater did a really good job with Blue, Gansey, Adam, Ronan and Noah. I really loved the boys, more than I did Blue (and I really enjoyed her). Gansey appears to be the glue that holds those boys together as a family. And it shows. 

I am constantly in admiration of Gansey's endeavors to not be the snotty little rich kid that he really could be (his frickin' broad vocab!), I like Ronan's spunk and bravery (I can't remember if the situation with Declan - his brother - was resolved, though); Noah is the most adorable thing, and Adam was a lovely ray of sunshine for me. They're a family. And they look after each other. 

Can I just say... I knew something was up with Noah when Ashley, Declan's "girlfriend" mentioned how cold his hands were. That's not really a HUGE tell, but it was enough for me to be suspicious.

Blue's family and house of psychics were a whole 'nother plot point in itself. Maura (her mother) wasn't my favorite person. She was WAY too secretive for me. It felt like she kept SO much important information from Blue. Calla was fun. Neeve was creepy and I'm still confused as to why she was there. Yes, I know she was "helping Maura search for someone", but I don't buy it. Especially now that she's "gone".

The whole supernatural world is SO big and so complex that I honestly had a hard time following everything. But I got enough out of it to know that something is up with these ley lines. And I feel that Adam and Ronan are about to be in for some crazy stuff with the continuation of this story.

I'm also excited to see some development with Blue & Gansey (we KNOW it's going to happen), despite Blue's knowledge of "kissing is death", at least according to her mother and other psychics. I don't think Gansey's going to die from kissing her, but... we shall see. I really love how they first met in Nino's. It was quite entertaining.

Onto Book Two!

Rating: 3.5/5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment